Lesson 1 of 0
In Progress

Welcome & Company Introduction from our Managing Director

31st October 2019

A Brief History

Beginnings
In 1946 Monaghan Street, Newry, Robert (Bob) Haldane established the Haldane Shiells Group. Its early years centred around timber operations, specifically native woods. By 1962, the first full ship load of 1,000 cubic metres of imported timber arrived in Newry.
Expansion
In 1976, John Haldane, son of Robert Haldane decided to expand the Company and opened a new branch in Newtownards to service customers in North Down. Further expansion in 1979 saw the first acquisition of another company. T A Shillington & Son Limited, of Portdown are one of Ulster’s oldest building supplies companies with a history dating back to 1835.
Haldane Fisher

In 1990, the Group bought the assets of Newry Company J S Fisher Limited. In May of that year, Haldane Fisher was created, located at Carnbane, Newry.

Our purpose built modern fourteen-acre Newry complex now meets today’s demanding standards and provides an unrivalled range of products from within its Timber, Building Materials, Plumbing/Heating, Door Reprocessing and Bathroom Divisions.

G E Robinson

In 2006 the Group made another acquisition with the purchase of the long-established business of GE Robinson and Co Ltd. This company operates from three branches in North West England, based at Salford, Aston-in-Makerfield and Garstang.

In January 2014 GE Robinson purchased West Midlands Merchant Trading Company based at Walsall in England. In 2016 this was rebranded as G E Robinson – Walsall.

In January 2017 G E Robinson purchased Craven Timber (Batley) Ltd based in Leeds.

In 2018 the branch network increased further with the Haldane Fisher acquisition of Robert Dickie & Sons and in May 2018, Plumbmaster opened its first standalone branch in Duncrue, Belfast.

Click play to hear from Eamonn McCarthy who oversees our Plumbmaster division.

Our Branches – Click play to see where all our branches are based.